Sunday, April 17, 2011

Farewell, Mission Theater (1915?-2011)

The rumors are true.

The Mission Twins Theater, after struggling in recent years, is no more. Renovations are underway to convert it into the new home of Hillside Christian Church.

I went for the last time this past summer, and it was obvious that the theater's end was near. Townsfolk say you had to bring a blanket in the winter months. The toilet in the men's room was boarded up. I almost stepped on a wino.

All the signs were there.

I have much further to go in remembering the more than 200 movies I saw here in the 80s, but for now, I'd like to open it for your own thoughts.



What are your fond memories of the place?

If you'll excuse me, I need a moment in The Cry Room.







4 comments:

  1. Two Words! Cherry Lime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! don't know what was in that thing, but there's never been another one like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Tim! I came in early to work and instead I've spent the last hour reading all of your blog posts on this site. (Cue Barbara Striesand's "Memories").

    As a pastor I should feel excited about a church taking over the movie theater, but I don't. Somehow it seems like blasphemy.

    I echo the cherry lime sentiment. In fact, we'd go there just to get a cherry lime and not see a movie.

    One of my other memories of the theater is the smells. I guess growing up in Dalhart, I'm used to bad smells being surrounded by cattle. But I remember going to "the show" and being pummeled by that mixture of smells that included popcorn, 14 year old teenage boy, musty chairs and excitement (Smells like teen spirit).

    It's the end of an era. I guess we're getting older....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Rick!

    I'm strangely glad to hear about your conflicted feelings as a pastor! I was feeling guilty about not wanting to see it turn into a church. But I definitely support their efforts. And it sounds like it had seen its last days as a theater. I still held out hope, though.

    Thanks for taking the time to read. Plans have always been to post more, but work and life tend to take priority. I'm certain I'll continue in the same sporadic way!

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete