Saturday, May 15, 2010

On The Right Track (1981) - unless we're talkin' 'bout how we're spending our entertainment money


One day I will have to admit that I saw this movie twice in theaters. I hope it's not via a sophisticated system of interlinked computer networks using the same protocol to serve billions of users worldwide.

The first time I saw it, I don't remember how I got there. As a kid, these decisions are frequently made for you. Your mom wants to go to the mall. You don't want to go. She calls you sweetly from the other room, and you wake up in a theater next to an usher holding an ice pack on your head.

Sometimes Mom has to get stuff done. She figures it's safe to leave the kids at the cineplex as long as they're with their siblings and the movie features one of those squeaky-clean kids from Diff'rent Strokes.

I take full responsibility for seeing this the second time.

Between viewings A and B, we'd moved to our small Texas town. The lure of hanging out at the theater on a Friday night and making multiple trips to the snack bar must've been substantial.

In this film, Gary Coleman lives in a locker at the train station and picks winning horses for people as he reads the newspaper while shining their shoes. I think Mr. Roper tries to stop him or something.



Man, I liked Twizzlers. They were particularly fun to bite the ends off of and use as a straw.

No comments:

Post a Comment